Philidelphia: High School Overnight 2017

Towards the beginning of every school year at Baltimore Lab, there is an overnight trip, each year to a different place. This year we went to Philidelphia. We had already gone during my freshmen year, but we did different and potentially more fun things this year. The trip has some educational things built into it, but it is mostly a fun trip. Some of my favorite parts of the trip this year were going to a haunted house and to Hershey Park.

We left the school on Thursday morning on a coach bus. Due to traffic, it was about a two and a half hour drive, so I used the time to socialize with friends and play video games. Our first stop was the Eastern State Penitentiary. It was a prison used from 1829-1971 and was once home to Al Capone. We got to see various blocks of the prison as well as see how decorated Al Capone's cell was. The reason he had a lot of furniture in his cell was that the staff at the penitentiary were generous to give him these accommodations. After we had lunch at Hard Rock Cafe, we went on a walking ghost tour of historic Philidelphia. I didn't enjoy this activity as much because I don't really believe in ghosts, but it was somewhat interesting to hear the ghost stories. Next, we went to the Philidelphia Museum of Art, which has the famous steps that Rocky ran up in the movie. We got to see lots of pretty paintings, as well as armor and weapons from medieval times. We had dinner at the London Grille, and then we went to the haunted house, Terror Behind the Walls.

What a cell at the penitentiary looks like today.


Terror Behind the Walls takes place at the Eastern State Penitentiary and features 6 walk-through haunted attractions. Inside these attractions are spooky decorations and creepy actors. At Terror Behind the Walls, you have the choice to wear a glowing necklace that allows the actors to touch you, as well as take you down secret passages and separate you from your group. I did this haunted house during my freshman year and wanted to try something scarier, so I wore the necklace, and it was so worth it. Not only was it scarier, but it was much more fun and interactive than just walking through. One thing that happened was that towards the beginning of the Infirmary attraction, me and two other friends were taken because we were told we were diseased. One of my friends was interviewed by a creepy doctor, and then she was put on the stretcher. We had to run and push her down the hallway, and it was so fun. After going through all 6 attractions, there is a gift shop and refreshment area and we got to see the dancing zombie swat team. This was my favorite part of the trip.




To end the night we went to our hotel. We got to choose our roommates several weeks in advance, and I chose to room with two of my close friends. We played games on one of my friend's Nintendo Switch console, and then we went to bed.

The next day was another very eventful day. After eating breakfast at the hotel, we went for an hour and a half bus ride to Lancaster to tour the Amish Farm and House. We learned more about what it is like to be Amish, such as not having any electricity or cars. I learned that a lot of this comes from the religion of the Amish people. Next, we had lunch at the Good and Plenty Restaraunt, which looked like a giant dining hall. We had fried chicken, and it was delicious. Who knew the Amish could cook so well? We then left the restaraunt and went to Hershey's Chocolate World and did the chocolate tour. If you have never gone, it is a ride that shows the process of making chocolate. We shopped for a little while and then went to Hershey Park After Dark, which is where you get to go to the theme park at night.

The Amish Farm and House

I went on several roller coasters during the time I was at Hershey Park. The first coaster I went on was Skyrush. This is the fastest roller coaster at the park, with speeds up to 75 mph, and it gives you a good head rush. The second coaster I went on was Great Bear. This coaster's track is located above the seats, so your feet dangle, and the coaster goes upside-down a lot of times, which was really thrilling. The third coaster that I went on was the SuperDooperLooper. This coaster, in my opinion, was a big disappointment. There were only two loops on the coaster, and then the rest was just straightaways and small curves. I also did bumper cars, the arcade, a drop tower, and a swing ride. We left the park and got back to Baltimore really late, but thankfully it was on a Friday so we could sleep in the next day.

Skyrush

Great Bear

SuperDooperLooper

I had so much fun on the Philidelphia trip, and I am really glad I went. We did a lot of different things, and I enjoyed almost all of them. My next big school overnight will be New Orleans in the spring, and I will be writing about it on here as well.

Comments